Bienfait Steam Train

Bienfait Steam Train

This Canadian Pacific Steam Locomotive was built in 1907 and was one of the last to operate in Canada. It was donated to the Town of Bienfait by the Manitoba and Saskatchewan Coal Company Ltd. in 1968. A plaque dedicates the locomotive, which now sits in the town’s business section, to “the memory of the mine workers, both deep seam and strip, who worked the lignite coal seam in the Bienfait-Coalfields area since the turn of the [twentieth] century.”

Used with Permission from: David McLennan, “Our Towns: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park.”




Submit Comments about Photo:

Back to History in Bienfait